Snap Renews 3 Original Shows and Expands E!’s ‘What the Fashion’ to Twice Per Week (Exclusive)
Struggles of a Latino Producer in Hollywood: ‘I Still Face a lot of Issues When I Pitch to Executives’
Network executives told Producer Jaime Dávila during a pitch that they already had a Latino comedy on the air
The numbers are stark. Representation among Latino actors and filmmakers in Hollywood, while improving, have still proven to be — like many minority groups and women — insufficient.
The Annenberg Inclusion Initiative at the University of Southern California on Wednesday released a second study in less than two weeks, the latest installment exploring the inequality in 1,200 popular films from 2007 to 2018. The study — which covers the portrayal of on-screen characters across gender, race/ethnicity, LGBTQ, and disability — revealed that Hollywood was actually more likely to erase Latinos from films in 2018 than three years ago.
Producer and co-founder of Campanario Entertainment Jaime Dávila told TheWrap that he sees a groundswell coming, and he’s optimistic change will happen.
“Why is it that there are so few Latino projects in the marketplace?” Dávila asked. “Well, that’s because there are so few Latino executives in those rooms. I still face a lot of issues when I go pitch to executives. These are people who don’t…
For Only $1/Day Members Access:
- Access to full length Members-Only Video archive
- Video of notable sessions from TheWrap Events (TheGrill, Power Women Summit)
- DataBank showcasing key stats and streaming video trends in the OTT market
- In-depth entertainment industry research and whitepapers
- Fans of 'The Umbrella Academy' Reveal Its Greatest Flaw: Where the Netflix Original Failed
- Ryan Murphy's 'The Politician' Trailer: It's Like 'Election' – But With Ben Platt and Possibly Murder (Video)
- Meet Bake Off 2019's Amelia – fashion designer from Halifax hoping to impress Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith
- What happened to Honey G, is she doing X Factor All Stars what are her biggest songs?
- James Gunn’s ‘Suicide Squad’ Adds ‘Pitch Perfect 2’ Star Flula Borg