Princess Diana's brother says it is "his duty" to stand up for her amid the new series of The Crown and BBC Panorama investigation.
Earl Spencer is urging people to remember the portrayal of Diana in the new Netflix series is "fiction" – and revealed the response he gave when producers asked to film at the family home of Althorp.
The Earl, 56, said: "The worry is that people forget it’s fiction.
"I feel it is my duty to stand up for Diana when I can."
Viewers of season four of The Crown see the princess – played by actress Emma Corrin – and Charles fall in love before their marriage crumbles. Distressing scenes also show her in the grips of an eating disorder.
When asked if he felt any unease about watching the show, the Earl told Alan Titchmarsh on this Sunday’s episode of Love Your Weekend: “There is a bit.
"Actually, The Crown asked if they could film at Althorp and I said obviously not.
"The worry for me is that people see a programme like that and they forget that it is fiction.
"They assume, especially foreigners, I find Americans tell me they have watched The Crown as if they have taken a history lesson. Well, they haven’t.”
On how truthful the show is, he added: “It is very hard, there is a lot of conjecture and a lot of invention, isn’t there? You can hang it on fact but the bits in between are not fact.”
The Earl also spoke about the ongoing battle to try and correct inaccuracies about his sister.
“I feel it is my duty to stand up for her when I can," he said.
"She left me, for instance, as guardian of her sons, so I feel there was a trust passed on. And we grew up together, you know if you grow up with somebody they are still that person, it doesn’t matter what happens to them later.
"So yeah, I feel very passionately that I have a role to honour her memory.”
Asked if he feels he has that role today with Prince William and Prince Harry, he responded: “Oh no, because they are grown up now but I would always have honoured that incredible entrustment.”
Daily Star's newsletter brings you the biggest and best stories – sign up today
Meanwhile on Friday night, the Earl released a statement in which he said he is "not at all satisfied" with the parameters of an inquiry into the BBC Panorama controversy surrounding the interview with his sister.
He tweeted: "As I've told the BBC this evening, I'm not at all satisfied with the parameters they've set around their enquiry into the @BBCPanorama interview with Diana of 25 years ago tonight.
"Lord Dyson must be free to examine every aspect of this matter, from 1995 to today, as he sees fit."
The investigation will consider if the steps taken by the BBC and interviewer Martin Bashir were appropriate and to what extent those actions influenced Diana's decision to give an interview.
Prince Harry and William will 'not watch The Crown' as it's 'sad for them to watch'
The explosive Panorama interview famously featured Diana saying: "Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded."
Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge, earlier this week welcomed the investigation, saying it "should help establish the truth behind the actions" that led to the programme.
And Prince Harry last night hit back at reports he was staying silent surrounding the matter.
A source close to the Duke said: “Harry is getting regular updates and is aware of everything that is happening.
“You do not need a public statement to imagine how he is feeling privately, people know how much his mother means to him. He has bravely spoken out in the past about loss and grief, and the immense impact it has had on him.
“Sadly, some people are not just seeing this as a drive for truth, but also trying to use this as an opportunity to try to drive a wedge between the brothers.”
- LOVE YOUR WEEKEND WITH ALAN TITCHMARSH AIRS ON SUNDAY 22ND NOVEMBER AT 10AM ON ITV
Source: Read Full Article