Get a daily dose of showbiz gossip straight to your inbox with the Daily Star’s FREE newsletter
Kerry Katona’s ex-husband George Kay died at the age of 39 after he ate a ball of cocaine in front of horrified staff at a Holly Inn, an inquest revealed today.
The former rugby league player tragically passed away on July 6, 2019 after he consumed a ball of white powder inside a sock in front of hotel staff in Sutton Weaver, Cheshire.
The court heard how the famed sportsman collapsed and suffered a fatal seizure due to the effects of the large quantity of the toxic substance and sadly died hours later in hospital.
Police had been called to the hotel the night before at 9.54pm on July 5, 2019, following complaints that he was wandering around the corridors “asking for someone to be his friend".
Officers recalled how he was hallucinating while under the influence of the drug, but agreed to let him stay in his hotel room despite noticing traces of cocaine by his bathroom sink.
Carole Garcia, a hotel worker at the Holiday Inn, told the hearing: “He asked if I would prepare cocaine for him, but I said I wouldn’t do that.
“He said there was a man in his room but we went to his room and we confirmed there was no one else there.”
It has been reported that a female police officer was later disciplined for not searching George or arresting him for possession of the class A drug.
But it was the following morning that George took his fatal dose as one staff member recalled how George produced a large ball of “white powder” from a sock in his pants before he ate it.
Food and beverage supervisor Luke Smith told the inquest: “He took the ball out of the sock and started to eat it.”
It has been reported that Mr Smith previously told a police watchdog investigation: “It was a large white ball shape, he believed it was drugs.
“He then described Mr Kay biting into the ball which continued to crumble.”
A spokesperson from Cheshire Police said: “At 9.54pm on Friday, July 5, police received a report of concern for the safety of a 39-year-old man at a hotel on Wood Lane, Sutton Weaver.
“Officers attended and spoke to the man, as well as hotel staff. All parties agreed that he could remain at the hotel.
“At 10.11am on Saturday, July 6, police received a further report of concern for the man’s safety.
“Due to information provided the caller was advised to contact North Wet Ambulance Service for assistance.
“Paramedics attended the hotel and the man was taken to Warrington General Hospital for treatment, where he sadly later died.
“The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.
“As with any death following police contact, Cheshire Constabulary has referred the matter to the Independent Office for Police Conduct.”
The Sun reported how Kerry was devastated by the shocking news of her ex-husband's sudden death from a suspected drug overdose.
The 40-year-old met the rugby player as teenagers in Cheshire, but the pair only started dating in 2012 after they reconnected following a chance meeting in Warrington.
The two love birds tied the knot two years later in 2014 just five months after she had given birth to their now seven-year-old daughter Dylan-Jorge.
But their love wasn’t meant to be as the pair called it quits just four years later after Kerry filed for divorce in November 2017.
Daily Star contacted Kerry Katona's representatives who have declined to comment.
Kerry is also mum to her daughters Molly and Lilly-Sue who she shares with her ex-husband Brian McFadden, as well as her daughter Heidi and her son Max from her former relationship with Mark Croft.
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
- Kerry Katona
Source: Read Full Article