Ellen DeGeneres has spoken out against the claims she’s decided to end her show after 19 seasons because of the accusations against her and other employees of "bullying" and creating a "toxic" work environment.
The 63-year-old star has also claimed that she believes the onslaught of accusations against her last year were part of a "coordinated" and sexist attack.
"My therapist said very few people go through public humiliation twice in a lifetime…" she said, referring to when she came out as gay in 1997 and received abuse as well as lost work opportunities in the aftermath.
"It was really interesting because I am a woman and it did feel very misogynistic."
Thursday marked the first episode of her The Ellen DeGeneres Show’s final season, and the host delivered a statement to her audience as well as a further explanation on The Today Show.
She explained to interviewer Savannah Guthrie: "If it [the claims of bullying and a toxic work environment on the set of her show] was why I was quitting, I would not have come back this year and I really did think about not coming back.
"It was devastating. I am a kind person. I am a person who likes to make people happy," she insisted sadly. "I kept saying to Portia, if I was a fan of somebody and even if I loved them, I would think there must be some truth to [the allegations] because they weren't stopping.
"I had no idea – I never saw anything that would even point to that [the bullying]. I didn't understand it, I still don't."
Ellen went on to insist that she believed the the attacks against her last year were planned.
"It was too orchestrated. It was too coordinated. People get picked on but for four months straight? When every guest who has ever come on has only ever talked about what a happy place this is…" she shook her head in confusion.
The star also reminded viewers that her show featured 255 employees, and that there were a number of different buildings at the studio.
"Unless I didn't go home until the last person left… it's my name on the show so clearly it affects me but I do wish somebody would have come to me and said 'hey, something's going on that you should know about'," Ellen added.
Like what you see? Then fill your boots…
There's MUCH more where that came from! Want all the jaw-dropping stories from the world of showbiz and up to the minute news from TV and soaps?
Well, we've got you covered with our showbiz, TV and soaps newsletters – they'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
We'll bring you the inside track from telly expert Ed Gleave and soap specialist Sasha Morris. Oh, and your daily fix of Piers, Katie Price, Demi Rose and all your other Daily Star favs.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
Following Wednesday’s announcement, the popular host told The Hollywood Reporter that her decision to step down from her series after 19 years had actually been made after season 16.
"When you’re a creative person, you constantly need to be challenged," she shared. "And as great as this show is, and as fun as it is, it’s just not a challenge anymore."
Meanwhile, the Daily Mail reported Ellen’s decision was actually due to the "tanking" ratings according to a source.
"Ellen has had enough and told her team that she’s done. She's promised one more season after this one and will exit at the end of the 2021/2022 season," the insider added.
Source: Read Full Article