Woman's head is deformed by a severe allergic reaction to eyebrow tint

Mother who suffered a severe allergic reaction to eyebrow tint after salon applied ‘patch test wrong’ – is warned she could have DIED after her tongue swelled almost to the point of choking her

  • Clare McGuire, 34, from Greater Manchester, had horrible reaction to the tint
  • Her whole face swelled, including her tongue, which became a choking hazard  
  • Mother-of-two was rushed to hospital and eyebrows still scabby three weeks on
  • She revealed: ‘It’s been three weeks and I’m still not back to normal’

A mother has revealed how she was left ‘looking like Quasimodo’ after a horror allergic reaction to eyebrow tint that was so severe doctors said it could have killed her. 

Clare McGuire, 34, from Stretford, Greater Manchester, got her eyebrows waxed and tinted at a salon for the first time on October 13, and claims the beauty technician incorrectly applied her patch test to her hand.

She claims she was advised to leave it on for only an hour, meaning her reaction didn’t show up before the treatment.

She later had to rush herself to the A&E twice after the reaction left her with a swollen face and a swollen tongue, which emergency care staff warned could have been a choking hazard.  

Clare said: ‘It’s been three weeks and I’m still not back to normal – I’ve still got redness and scabs and I’m worried they’re not going to grow back properly.

‘Doctors said if I had a reaction like that again it would kill me so I’ll never do it again, I’ll stick to threading.’ 


Clare McGuire, 34, from Stretford, Greater Manchester got her eyebrows waxed and tinted at a salon for the first time on Wednesday and says she’s still suffering from ‘scabby’ eyebrows after suffering an allergic reaction  (left and right) 

The mother decided to get her eyebrows waxed and tinted and have eyelash extensions done for the first time for a confidence boost.

Clare said: ‘I’d never had any waxing or tinting done before, I always just got my eyebrows threaded. 

She booked in at a salon and went for a patch test the day before her appointment, however Clare claims the beauty technician applied the test on her hand and only told her to leave it on for an hour.

She said: ‘The day before I went for a patch test and she tested the tint for the eyebrows and the glue for the eyelashes and told me to leave it on for an hour. 

It was the first time that the mother-of-two treated herself to eyebrow tint. She claims the beautician didn’t do a proper allergic test 

‘I was out for the rest of the day so I left it on for longer and there was no reaction.’ 

It was only after carrying out research of her own after the horror reaction that Clare realised that patch tests need to be left for a minimum of 24 hours to allow time for delayed reactions. 

She revealed: ‘But I found out after that she should’ve done the patch test behind my ear and it should’ve stayed on for at least 24 hours and she should’ve known that because of her training.’

Just hours after getting her eyebrows done Clare’s face became red and itchy and she called 111 where an operator advised she go to hospital.


She explained her eyebrows became red, itchy and scabby due to the allergic reaction, pictured

Clare had to rush herself to the hospital and was treated with an IV treatment, pictured, after the reaction

That evening at Trafford General Hospital in Trafford, Greater Manchester, Clare was given an EpiPen shot and steroid tablets and was then allowed home. 

Clare said: ‘Red spots started appearing around my eyebrows so I messaged the girl that did them and she said to take some antihistamines so I did.

‘But then a couple of hours later I started swelling up and my eyes started closing so I rang 111 and they told me to go to the hospital.

‘In hospital they gave me an EpiPen shot and steroid tablets and sent me home but it got worse overnight, so the next morning I went back and they put me on an intravenous drip.’ 


The following morning the mother-of-two was stunned to discover her face had ballooned overnight – including her tongue – and returned to hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe she could have choked in her sleep 

The following morning the mother-of-two was stunned to discover her face had ballooned overnight – including her tongue – and returned to hospital where horrified doctors claimed the swelling was so severe she could have choked in her sleep. 

She said: ‘Urgent care said because my tongue had swollen I could have choked. I got told I could have died, it was really scary.

‘Over the next few days it just got worse – my eyebrows went really red and were swelling, scabbing and seeping.

‘I thought I looked like Quasimodo and my sons told me I looked like the Elephant Man.


After three weeks she is still healing but thankful that her face isn’t as swollen anymore  (pictured) 

‘I wear glasses but my face was too swollen to put them on for three days.’

The traumatised care worker has now vowed never to get her eyebrows tinted again and has shared photos of her dramatic reaction to warn others to get a proper patch test. 

Doctors prescribed steroid tablets, antihistamines and antibiotics to help reduce the swelling from Claire’s allergic reaction and to fight off infection from her ‘scabby’ eyebrows. 

After three weeks she is still healing but thankful that her face isn’t as swollen anymore after her sons Matthew Fryers, 15, and Mark Fryers, 13, joked that it made her look like ‘the Elephant Man’.

She is now warning others to make sure they have a proper patch test to avoid a potentially life-threatening reaction like she had. 

Clare said: ‘People need to know this can happen and make sure they get a patch test behind their ear and leave it on for 24 hours.’ 

Source: Read Full Article