Thousands of Brits can claim up to £100 free cash to help pay for food and bills

THOUSANDS of Brits can get up to £100 cash for free to pay for food and bills this winter.

It's part of the £500million Household Support Fund, which is designed to help hard-up families cover essential costs.

The government scheme gives funding to councils across the UK, which then hand out support to struggling residents.

The financial aid that's available varies between councils, so you'll need to check with your local authority what help is available in the region you live in.

For example, some households in Manchester are entitled to a payment of up to £100.

All households in Manchester City Council area that get council tax support were automatically eligible to receive the cash.

It's a one-off cash grant of £100 to households with dependent children and £70 to those without kids.

You should have already received a cheque in the post by December 17 if you're eligible for the support.

Most read in Money


Two bedroom flat goes on sale for £745k – and the inside it totally unique


Shoppers snap up thousands of pounds in free booze thanks to app glitch


Angry shoppers claim stores 'ruined' Xmas with substitutions and axed orders


Monzo bank went down with angry customers unable to access accounts

But there will be another payment date in January for families who accessed council tax support after November7.

The money is being handed out as cheques for people to cash, and you can then decide how to spend the money.

While this particular offer is only open to residents of Manchester, The Sun has spotted other local authorities offering free cash and vouchers to help families.

You'll need to contact your own local council to find out what help you might be eligible for.

Each council decides who is eligible and how much to hand out, so you'll need to check what's available in your area – you can find out who yours is via the website.

What other help is available?

The Sun has looked into all the assistance on offer from councils up and down the country – you can find out who yours is via the website.

Families in North Yorkshire could get a £125 voucher to help pay for food and essentials

Meanwhile, those living in the East Riding of Yorkshire have until Christmas Eve to apply for up to £285 to help pay for household essentials and bills.

Shropshire Council is also giving households £115 in free cash to be put towards food, energy and water bills

If there is not Household Support Fund help available to you in your area, there are other schemes that might be able to help.

The Welfare assistance scheme can get up to £1,000 in free cash and vouchers for food, furniture and bills.

You might be able to get your council tax bill reduced if you are struggling to pay.

And if you’re struggling to pay rent, you could apply for a discretionary housing payment.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Money team?

Email us at [email protected]

    Source: Read Full Article