Can I take my fixed energy deal with me when I move house? Full list of suppliers who will let you revealed | The Sun

CUSTOMERS lucky enough to be on a cheap fixed tariff for their energy might not be able to keep it if they move house.

We explain which suppliers will let you keep your deal – and who won't.

The majority of customers are on a standard variable tariff – but some are still on fixes.

Energy bills have been soaring, which led suppliers to withdraw cheaper fixed price tariffs last year.

It means that the majority of households – 26million, according to latest government figures – are on a standard variable tariff.

Standard variable tariffs are protected by the government's energy price guarantee (EPG), which has frozen bills at £2,500 for the typical household.

Read more on energy

Why your thermostat could be adding hundreds to energy bills in the wrong room

Dad had to ration energy over Xmas when Universal Credit payments stopped

But as this is only an estimate, you could end up paying more than this.

However, some customers are still clinging onto fixed deals that are lower than the EPG.

But if you decide to move house, can you still keep your fixed deal? We explain all you need to know.

What happens to my fixed deal if I move house?

You can ask your supplier to keep your fixed energy tariff when you move house – but it doesn't have to agree to this.

Most read in Money


Aldi is making a huge change to its website – and shoppers will be very unhappy


Martin Lewis issues 'danger' warning over banking mistake – how to avoid it


I’m a meat lover and tried vegan fast food – the winner was as good as real thing


Sky is giving out set-top box upgrades for free – are you eligible?

It's down to your energy company whether to let you keep your deal or not.

Here's who will let you keep your deal, and who won't:

Who will let me keep my fixed deal?

Shell Energy and British Gas will let you keep your fixed tariff.

Ecotricity said customers can keep their deal – but if they decide to change supplier or their tariff, they'll have to pay a £200 exit fee.

E.ON said E.On Next customers can keep their fixed price tariff, so long as the same type of meter is in place at their new property.

EDF said customers can transfer their deal over to their new home as long as it is within 30 days of moving out of their old property.

You'll also need to contact EDF by phone to request this, and supply meter readings for the old and new property.

Who won't let me keep my fixed deal?

Ovo customers will not be able to keep a fixed tariff.

Instead, they will need to close their account and reapply to join again with their new address.

Bulb doesn't offer fixed tariffs.

Scottish Power and Octopus didn't respond at the time of publication.

What to do with your energy supply moving home

You should contact your supplier at least 48 hours before you move house.

Make sure you read your meters on the day you move out and give these to your supplier.

Read More on The Sun

I got £70-worth from B&M for under a fiver – here’s my hidden trick

iPhone owners have just weeks left to dodge higher bill – check your settings now

It's important to do this in case you don't agree with your final bill.

Give your supplier a forwarding address so they can send you the final bill – you have 28 days to pay it.

Source: Read Full Article